USA, USA, USA! We’re number 1!
Oh, really? Like the British empire, which did not recognize it was no longer the predominant earthly power, the US public remains willfully ignorant that it is another nation’s century and that we will need to adapt.
Hence… May I introduce to you, CHINA!
- By the year 2025 (that’s only 15 years people!), China will build an additional 40 billion square meters of floor space in five million newly constructed buildings. 50,000 of these buildings will be skyscrapers — the equivalent of ten New York Cities (US can’t even replace two knocked-down skyscrapers within ten years, much less ten entire NYC’s in fifteen). Source: Mckinsey, “Preparing for China’s Urban Billion” (Click on the Thumbnails)
- By the year 2030, China’s cities will have added 350 million people—more than the entire population of the United States today. Chinese cities numbering over 1 million residents already exceed 50 and will likely exceed 75 by 2030. Think of the implications for demands on resources, food, and increases in greenhouse gases. Source: Mckinsey, “Preparing for China’s Urban Billion”
- Even amidst the worldwide economic crisis, in years 2008, 2009, and this year of 2010, China consumes twice as much steel as the US, Europe and Japan combined. The president of the China Iron and Steel Association (CISA), Deng Qilin, stated on February 5, 2010 that apparent consumption of crude steel in China is expected to grow by 8-10 percent in 2010, well ahead of the original anticipation of 5% increase. Source: Business Insider, Posco Steel
- China has joined the ranks of only two other nations to have developed their own manned spacecraft. The EVA (spacewalk) carried out during the Shenzhou 7 flight makes China the third country to have conducted an EVA, after the Soviet Union and the United States. The Shenzhou 7 Mission won the 2009 Space Achievement Award from the Space Foundation. Source: Space Foundation
- If the Chinese one day use – and they will – as much oil per person as Americans, then the world will need seven more Saudi Arabias to meet their demand, alone! Combine this ditty with the fact that China already has a middle class larger than the entire United States population, and then conflate these with the fact that they are now buying cars at a faster rate than the U.S. before its auto industry collapse, and… well, maybe that’s why Obama has to force the God, Guns and SUV-loving US to invest now in alternative fuels and power! Geez, we are an idiot nation, to be sure. Source: CIA World Fact Book
- At 54 million believers, China already claims more Christians than Italy, and China is on track to become the largest center of Christianity in the world. Even so, they’re a bit more pragmatic and logical with their interpretations of reality: 74% of China holds the view that life on Earth, including human life, evolved over time either by a process guided by God or as a result of natural selection in which no God played a part. I feel a little better, now. Source: the Great Britain-China Centre
- China has 150% more soldiers than America does, plus a new high tech “Kill Weapon” for which the U.S. has no known countermeasures. China has about 3.4 million active military personnel compared to America’s 1.4 million. Moreover, after years of conjecture, details have emerged of a Chinese “kill weapon” designed to target and destroy U.S. aircraft carriers in one missile strike. Because the missile employs a complex guidance system, low radar signature, and a maneuverability that makes its flight path unpredictable, it can evade tracking systems to reach its target. The missile is estimated to travel at mach 10 and reach its maximum range of 2000km in less than 12 minutes. “Ships currently have no defense against a ballistic missile attack.” Source: U.S. Naval Institute
Chinese GDP could overtake the U.S. as soon as the early 2020s. China’s nominal GDP growth will likely surpass that of the United States within ten years. Source: MarketWatch