John Johansen designed the Warner House as a Neo-Palladian structure during what he called his “Neo-Classical Period. “Chosen as one of the best contemporary homes of 1958 by Architectural Record, the Warner ( or, Bridge) House was also featured in the New York Times, House & Home, and Architectural Design. Recently, this masterpiece sold for $5,000,000. Designed for Mary Ann and Rawleigh Warner, Jr., work began in August 1955 and completed in June 1956.
Click Images For Larger Views
Sited so that the Rippowam River bisects the lofty living room in a way that perfectly aligns with a barrel-vaulted ceiling. The ceiling is gold leaf that has burnished to a bronzy, autumnal tone that reflects the glints and dappling of the water below. On five landscaped acres, the 4,500-square-foot Bridge House has six bedrooms, four full bathrooms and a gorgeous stone pool and terrace.
The house has an H-shaped plan with each pavilion addressing a separate function: the parent’s pavilion contained the master suite; the children’s pavilion contained two bedrooms and a bath; the service pavilion contained the kitchen, storage area, a servant’s bedroom, and a basement playroom; and the guest pavilion contained a guest bedroom, bath, and courtyard. The center part of the house contained the social space: a living room, dining room, and balconies overlooking the river.